pamahiins!!!  

Monday, October 27, 2008



I was reminded of this when I was talking with my cousin's husband last week. It was a Friday and she was saying that she was about to cut the fingernails of her infant son, when she remembered that you should not cut fingernails on Tuesdays and Fridays. She turned to me and asked me if I believed in them. I frankly said "no" and told her that I've heard about the pamahiin before but did not believe in them. I had first analyzed this - why tuesdays and fridays??? The only logical or maybe illogical answer was that these days are the days we pray the Sorrowful mysteries. What's the connection with fingernails? Who knows? But these superstitions like many others have their origins in the imaginations of people.

"Walang mawawala kung maniwala ka." ("You won't lose anything if you believe in them.") I've heard this many times too. And again, the answer came to me: "yes, you will lose something - your belief and faith in God. Because you believe in superstitions that have their origins in man, then you lose your faith in God, who made man and who is more powerful than any man-made superstition.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


0 comments: to “ pamahiins!!!

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster